Happy New Year!! I hope you are or have enjoyed a wonderful summer break. As our NZ summer begins and it really starts to heat up, we all reach for the freezer treats, often highly processed ice-cream, am I right? And was your 2019 NY resolution to start "eating healthy"? We have all been there! A few moons ago, I re-created the classic Magnum with a healthy twist. Totally plant-based and refined sugar free using nuts, coconut and dates! They are sure to be a hit in everyones houses this summer!
3/4 cup macadamias or cashews (cashews need to be soaked for 4 hours)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup liquid sweeter (I used coconut nectar but maple, rice or agave syrup would all work fine)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla powder
2 tbsp coconut oil (softened)
10 soaked meedjool dates
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Chocolate Ganache Coating*
*alternatively melt one block of dark chocolate down
1/3 cup cacao butter
1/3 cup cacao powder
4 tsp coconut nectar (or other liquid sweeter such as maple, agave or rice malt syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. If using cashews, soak and then drain (macadamias don't require soaking). Add the nuts with the rest of the vanilla layer ingredients into a high power blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, if the consistency is too thick add a dash of nut mylk.
2. Fill the ice block moulds and freeze for 4 hours.
3. For the caramel layer use a food processor and add the meedjool dates, coconut oil and vanilla powder. Set aside and keep at room temperature.
4. Once the magnums have set in the freezer, use a double boiler to melt the cacao butter to a liquid. Once melted remove from the heat and add the cacao powder, coconut nectar and vanilla powder. Leave the chocolate to sit at room temperature.
5. Before you are ready to coat in the caramel and chocolate grab a tray and place some baking paper over it. It is important to do the following steps individually to insure the magnums do not melt.
4. Remove each magnum out of their moulds. Place back into the freezer on the tray.
5. To coat them in caramel one at time use a knife or spatular to evenly spread the caramel over each magnum. Place each magnum quickly back to the freezer immediately after coating. Leave to set for 20 minutes.
6. Remove magnums from the freezer again one at a time and dip into the chocolate. Place back on the tray in your freezer until you are ready to serve.
7. To serve, remove from the freezer and allow to defrost for 10 minutes.
8. Will keep in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Founder & Owner